top of page

School Bus

A school bus endorsement (S endorsement) is a federally recognized endorsement required by any state to drive a school bus designed to transport 16 or more students, including the driver. To obtain this endorsement drivers must successfully pass:

  • School Bus knowledge test (a CDL Permit will be issued when successfully completed).

  • Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) must be completed before road test is scheduled (for more information please visit: FMCSA, and FMCSA FAQs).

  • School Bus Road Skills Test. A skills test must be taken in a school bus vehicle representative of the desired CDL class.

  •  School Bus Certificate

School bus (S) endorsement applicants must complete the curriculum outlined in 49 CFR Part 380 School Bus Endorsement Training Curriculum which applies to driver-trainees who expect to operate a “school bus” as defined in 49 CFR Part 383.5.  The training must be conducted in a school bus of the same vehicle group as the applicant intends to drive.  A vehicle group may require either a CDL-A, CDL-B or a CDL-C.  License restrictions may be applicable. 

Patten’s Commercial Driver Training is both an approved entry level driver training provider and a registered training facility with the FMCSA.  We provide the highest quality Theory Instruction, Behind-the-Wheel Range and Behind-the-Wheel-Public Road in accordance with 49 CFR Part 380.609 for those individuals applying for a Class-A, Class-B or a Class-C CDL for the first time or upgrading a Class-B to a Class-A CDL.  General entry-level driver training requirements include:


(a) An individual who applies, for the first time, for a Class-A or Class-B CDL, or who upgrades to a Class-A or Class-B CDL, must complete driver training from a provider listed on the Training Provider Registry (TPR), as set forth in subpart G. 

(b) An individual seeking to obtain a passenger (P), school bus (S), or
hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time, must complete the training related to that endorsement from a training provider listed on the TPR, as set forth in subpart G.

Please note: This course is offered by Patten’s Commercial Driver Training in its entirety (Theory Instruction, Behind-the-Wheel Range and Behind-the-Wheel-Public Road) in accordance with 49 CFR Part 380.609 or by an individual’s specific instructional need.

Entry Level Driver Training expenses are all inclusive, except for those paid to the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles and the NH Department of Safety for your enrollment records, permit(s) and all necessary test(s) to achieve your desired license.



  • Trainees must be 18 years of age or older.

  • Trainees must hold a valid New Hampshire driver’s license.

  • Provide a copy of your Commercial Learners Permit, if applicable.

  • Pass a Department of Transportation Physical Exam and Drug Screen through our third-party provider and obtain a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
    Please Note: Patten's Driver Training does not accept any medical cards you may already have.

  • Submit a non-refundable deposit of $500 which will be applied to your tuition.

  • Pay final tuition costs and sign our training contract.

    Payment Disclaimer: All payments processed with a debit/credit card will be charged 2% of the transaction amount as a fee if we swipe your card. If we have to input your card manually, you will be charged 4%. If you do not want to be charged a fee, please pay via check. We apologize for the inconvenience.

bottom of page